IT'S LIT! FIREPROOFING YOUR MOST VALUED ITEMS WITH MYCUBE
We never think it will happen to us, but just like that, in a literal puff of smoke, our most valued documents, belongings, or items can be engulfed. In this piece, we look at some household fire statistics, how a fireproof safe works, and a few Mycube product options to ensure your valued belongings stay safe, secure, and fireproof.
THE STATISTICS ON HOUSE FIRES
Like many disasters, we tend to think of house fires as something that happens to someone else. However, the statistics show that house fires aren't something that you can ignore. Within a five-year period, house fires caused nearly $7 billion in damage in the United States.
On average, over 350,000 homes will experience a structural fire every year. With numbers like that, it's no wonder that home fire safes are in high demand.
WHAT CAUSES ALL THESE HOUSE FIRES?
All these house fires may seem strange to some, considering that we live in the age of smoke alarms and sprinklers, and where we no longer need open flames for heat or light. There are still plenty of subtle fire dangers around your house. Roughly half of all fires are started in the kitchen, caused by cooking equipment.
Other major causes are faulty heating systems or other electrical malfunctions. Short circuits or wiring can cause sparks that quickly turn into a blaze. Other common causes include fireplaces or candles, especially in the winter months or around holidays.
Indeed, it can only take roughly 30 seconds for a smaller fire to turn into a major house fire. In less than five minutes, the heat from a house fire can reach over 1100 degrees Fahrenheit!
HOW TO PREVENT HOUSE FIRE DAMAGE
The best way to prevent damage from a house fire is to never experience one in the first place. There are a few things that anyone can do to lessen the risk of a house fire. These include the following:
- Make sure to monitor open flames in the kitchen. Always double-check that all kitchen appliances are off when you are done using them, such as stovetops and ovens.
- Keep flammable objects (blankets, rugs, or curtains) away from your space heaters.
- Every 5 years or so, it's worth it to have an electrical checkup at your house, to look for potential dangers.
- Make sure to extinguish all candles or fireplaces when you're done with them
In some cases, a house fire is simply unforeseeable. There are ways to make sure that the damage is mitigated, however. Here are some tips to help protect yourself and your valuables against house fire damage.
- Install plenty of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, and make sure to change their batteries when needed. These will provide the best early warning.
- Familiarize yourself with how to use a fire extinguisher, and keep it somewhere accessible.
- Home fire sprinklers can drastically reduce the heat and fire produced by house fires. While it may not be feasible to have them in every room, you could look into getting them installed in particularly risky rooms (kitchens or rooms with fireplaces) or areas of the house with a lot of flammable valuables (like books or artwork)
- Invest in a fireproof safe box for home use, for your most important valuables. Fireproof jewelry safes and fireproof gun safes are also great ideas if you have those kinds of valuables at home.
THE VALUE OF FIREPROOF SAFES
Not everyone is aware of the fact that they can purchase a fireproof safe box for home use. It's assumed that this kind of heavy-duty equipment is reserved for banks. However, it's easier than ever to find home fire safes.
But what are fireproof safes made of? And how do they protect against fire? The answer can vary, depending on the kind of safe in question. Our own Firecube, for example, is made of galvanized steel and fire-retardant cement. The galvanized steel outer layer is fire resistant, while the cement prevents the transmission of heat to your valuables inside. When it comes to home fire safes, the Firecube is one of the toughest around, with fire protection for up to an hour, and tamper-proof steel bolts that provide a tight, smoke-proof seal.
Take a look at our Firecube here.
OTHER FEATURES OF THE FIRECUBE
Beyond being fireproof, the Firecube is a flexible home fire safe as well. The Fire Safe Tray allows it to serve as an excellent fireproof jewelry safe so you can organize your valuable items while keeping them protected. Meanwhile, its secure digital lock means that even your most sensitive valuables will be safe from tampering, making it among the best fireproof gun safes out there. With a lifetime guarantee, the Firecube is a home fire safe that will last you as long as you need it. Make sure to check out the Firecube in our shop, along with our other great home safe products. No matter the style or function you're looking for, there's a Mycube for your house.